Wednesday 12 October 2011

Greetings one and greetings all!

"Moonlit llamas
sunflower seeds
chinese checkers
covered with weeds

I wake from a slumber
to croquet at dawn
played with black hippos
on snow-covered lawn."
Ken Ward

My tastes in poetry vary from deep and meaningful (like this one) all the way to light hearted little ditties (Paradise Lost, for example). Poetry can make people sound very snobbish, and engenders a dreadful kind of pretention to superiority. "Oh, you like those words, do you? You like that writer, who wrote those words? You are clearly an uncultured, illiterate heathen." The thing I love most about poetry is that sometimes you like it in spite of the fact that it's strange, or clunky, or incomprehensible. Sometimes it doesn't matter if it's 'good' or if critics fawn over it or if they dismiss it as drivel, it's about what it means to you. 'Moonlit llamas' has very little literary meaning (or, you might argue, merit), but it reminds me (in ways I couldn't explain) separately but simultaneously of someone I love, of a fantastic month of my life, of an amazing day, of a season, of a photo-memory from when I was very young, of the place I grew up, and of the random wierdness that underlies all my closest friendships.

So, hello. I won't tell you my name, you don't have to tell me yours. Feel free to carry on and read some little snapshots into my crazy little life. Also feel free to click the back button- yet another anonymous blogger rambling on about their world holds limited appeal I know.

What am I up to here? You may well ask.

Well, for starters, and to be totally unoriginal, I'm trying to lose weight at the moment and am planning to use this blog as a little record of my progress. I don't remember a time when I wasn't overweight; ever since I've been aware of what I look like, I've disliked it. But that's going to change! (She says, optimistically!) This time I'm doing it. I'm going to drop to a healthy weight and stay there. And you can all throw tomatoes at me if I don't.

Deal? Deal.

Secondly, this blog will provide an outpouring for the crazy thoughts, bits and bobs, and bits of fluff that bounce around in my brain. I can hear the stampede as you all race for the back button. Oh well... it's your loss! So, random poetry, musings, recipes, books, quotes, crazy things. We'll see what comes, shall we?

Is there anyone still here?

You're brave people. Or bored. Probably very bored.

Well, I think that's enough introductory rambling for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment